Housed in Boston's Morgan Memorial Chapel, the organization formally incorporated in 1910 became known as Morgan Memorial Cooperative Industries and Stores, Inc. It provided job skills training programs and even a rudimentary placement service. The name “Goodwill Industries” was later adopted after a Brooklyn, NY, workshop coined the phrase.
Helms described Goodwill Industries as an “industrial program as well as a social service enterprise ... a provider of employment, training, and rehabilitation for people of limited employability, and a source of temporary assistance for individuals whose resources were depleted.”
Helms pioneered an organization that gave people hope, dignity, and independence. His social innovation set in motion a worldwide movement that would transform more than 5 million lives over the course of a century – all through the power of work.
Locally, Goodwill Industries of West Michigan, Inc. was established in 1950 through the committed efforts of a group of parents and community leaders who recognized the need for vocational training and employment opportunities for persons with disabilities. Throughout the decades, Goodwill has stayed focused on this mission, while expanding and improving services to meet the new and emerging needs of the diverse people and communities now served by the agency.
Goodwill Industries of West Michigan is a separate and autonomous Goodwill member organization serving Muskegon, Newago, Lake, Oceana, Mason, Manistee counties, as well as portions of Kent, Ottawa, Osceola, Mecosta, Montcalm, and Allegan counties.
Goodwill Industries of West Michigan is a member agency of Goodwill Industries International. There are 157 separate and autonomous Goodwill organizations across United States and Canada, with a presence in 12 other countries.
Goodwill Industries of West Michigan is a nonprofit organization as recognized by section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Service Code.